It’s been a while since the last Friday 5! I started boxing training—nobody punches me and I punch nobody, but I sure get to beat up some heavy bags and skip rope and it feels good, at least until I wake up sore the next day. I had the flu—that was pretty shitty. But I’m better now, so here is what I got up to this week.
1. Listening to… everything and anything from the album “Heist” by Macklemore and Ryan Lewis. Why? Because it’s time for “This Unruly Mess I’ve Made”! Expect next week to heavily feature it. In the meantime, here is a wicked song from “Heist” that I can loop forever.
2. Watching… “Deadliest Catch”. While I was sick I laid on my tiny couch in the living room and watched almost 3 full seasons of guys catching crabs. Mike Rowe is now narrating my every move. Did you know he used to sing opera? Dude is awesome. He can come check out my dirty job any time!
3. Reading… a book about syphilis. Nope, not joking. “The Pox: The Life and Near Death of a Very Social Disease” by Kevin Brown. I love medical history, and you can’t look at any era without venereal disease coming up, so to speak. Syphilis ate away noses, made people insane, and the treatment was mercury which was toxic and made people’s teeth fall out. It infected every class in society. It is some fascinating stuff. In case you are ever forced to converse about STIs and their colloquial names, you now know syphilis is the pox, and gonorrhea is the clap. Try not to hang out with people talking about STIs. Except me. Because I am awesome.
4. Drinking… a lot of tea. A lot of water. Like I said, I was sick a lot last week and I’ve been playing it very safe this week, just in case.
5. Trying… to shift my cam hours to mornings here on the West Coast. Coffee is happening. Speaking of which, I need to go buy more. And beer. Because I’m healthy, so back to my old ways. Join me!