I’m going to start a regular thing on Fridays called “Friday Five” where I share with you 5 of my current favourite gifs, videos, memes, whatever comes to mind. This week…
FRIDAY FIVE: My Favourite Song Parodies
1. “All About That Base” by Nerdist (“All About That Bass” by Meghan Trainor)
A song I love + Star Wars = giggles. The video is pretty fucking boss, too. And singalong lyrics!
2. “White White Baby” by Jim Carey on In Living Color (“Ice Ice Baby” by Vanilla Ice)
I can’t even. “Ice Ice Baby” is so ripe for parody anyway, but the lyrics combined with Jim Carey’s amazing timing, facial expressions, and body language is just too much. No wonder the guy became a star.
3. “The Real Pink Pony” by Vannamelon (“The Real Slim Shady” by Eminem)
So parodies of “The Real Slim Shady” are thick on the ground, but “My Little Pony” versions are not. This is hilarious, helium-voiced shit right here. If you’ve never watched MLP…it might not make sense. Except that helium-voiced rapping is mildly hilarious. And yes, bronies are boy ponies.
4. “Fuck It All” by DrunkenSch0k0muffin (“Let It Go” from Disney’s “Frozen”)
Because sometimes…But really, this parody perfectly captures every minute of every day of my college experience. It is also frequently my attitude to life in general.
5. “Problem” by Barely Political (“Problem” by Ariana Grande ft. Iggy Azalea)
They do spot-on hilarious parodies of songs, but this one just killed me. The laryngitis whispering. I die.
I love parodies, and after re-watching all of these (and then some more, because…fun) I have a strange urge to make one of my own…